Our Blog

Business360.Pro Blog

Business360.Pro is pleased to provide a variety of resources on accounting, taxation and other related subjects that I hope will be helpful to both individuals and businesses.

If you have any questions, simply contact me by email or call 778-968-2850. I will be happy to meet with you for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Retroactive Disability Tax Credit Claims


Part 2 of our series deals with claiming the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) in previous years. If you believe that you were eligible for, but did not claim it, you may be able to make a retroactive claim. Retroactive claims allow you to request adjustments to previous tax returns and potentially receive refunds for the missed credits.

Here are the steps to make a retroactive Disability Tax Credit claim in Canada:

  1. Determine eligibility: Assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the DTC in the years you wish to make a retroactive claim. The eligibility requirements remain the same for retroactive claims.
  2. Complete Form T1ADJ: To request adjustments to previous tax returns, use Form T1ADJ - T1 Adjustment Request. Indicate the specific year(s) for which you are making the retroactive claim.
  3. Obtain a completed Form T2201: Have a certified medical practitioner complete a Disability Tax Credit Certificate (Form T2201) for each year you are making a retroactive claim. The form should clearly indicate that you met the eligibility criteria in those years.
  4. Submit the documentation: Send the completed Form T1ADJ and the corresponding Form T2201(s) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Include a cover letter explaining that you are making a retroactive claim for the Disability Tax Credit and provide any necessary supporting documentation.
  5. CRA review: The CRA will review your retroactive claim and the supporting documentation provided. They may contact you or your medical practitioner for additional information or clarification.
  6. Notification and adjustment: If the CRA approves your retroactive claim, they will send you a Notice of Reassessment outlining the adjustments made to your previous tax returns. This may result in a refund if you overpaid taxes in those years.

It's important to note that there are time limits for making retroactive claims. Generally, you can request adjustments for tax returns filed within the past 10 years. However, the specific rules and limitations may vary, so it's advisable that you contact our office for assistance. I also recommend consulting the official Canada Revenue Agency website or contacting them directly.

Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.

Low-Income Individuals and The Disability Tax Cred...
Claiming the disability tax credit in Canada

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.


Comments are not available for users without an account. Please login first to view these comments.

Contact Us

Our Office

3803 Oxford Street
Burnaby, BC 
V5C 1C2

Phone: 778-968-2850

We're Easy to Find